Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Got it.


I picked up my copy of Final Fantasy 13 from EB Games at Pacific Centre. It came with a mini guide and a poster, but I gave back the poster to the store cause I didn't feel like carrying it home and have it hanging around the apartment only to be recycled. I only have so much wall space, and space in general, and I already have more than enough stuff. Besides, if I'm going to dedicate space to anything FF13, I'd get some figures of Lightning, Odin and/or Shiva.

The purpose of this blog is really to entertain myself and see what comes out of it. I've been studying Japanese game development practices and ideologies, as well as drawing comparisons between Western game development and Japanese game development. Final Fantasy 13 is this generation's epitome of Japanese game industry. It combines the latest Japanese pop culture, Anime cliches, streamlined Japanese game mechanics, and of the similar sort. The question on a lot of people's minds is whether or not "the Japanese game developer" still has it in them. A lot of Japanese game developers have been throwing in the towel, in despair, or have opted to reach out globally for processes and ideologies. I applaud the latter. Games have been strictly regional, but with the new standards set this generation, games have a whole new meaning in the media and entertainment industry.

This blog is to explore what Final Fantasy has become, where it's going, as well as where the Japanese game industry is going in it's native area and globally.

FYI, I've played Final Fantasy 1, most of 3, 6, 7, some of 8, some of 9, 10, 12, Crystal Chronicles and most of the Ring of Fates. So yeah, I've played enough of them. 6 is my favorite.

2 comments:

  1. You HAVE to play FFIV. You could argue it's the best of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. Hell, even my wife played FF4 and she doesn't even play games.

    ReplyDelete